Pandan Leafage Chicken


Whenever I run across pandan leafage chicken, I'd recollect the dejeuner I had alongside my Australian boss inward a Thai eatery inward Melbourne. That was a long fourth dimension ago, when Australians in all likelihood weren't equally familiar alongside Thai nutrient equally they are now.

One of the dishes nosotros had was pandan leafage chicken and, equally I chatted away, Boss did something that I all the same recollect now. He picked upwards a slice of fried chicken, unwrapped it, together with position the entire pandan leafage inward his oral cavity – no chicken, but the stiff, wiry leaf!

My eyes widened inward horror together with my take heed went, "WHOA! WHOA! YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THAT!"

I estimate I should direct keep warned him forthwith but I was equally good taken aback. I was speechless for a 2nd together with thus – when I was almost to yell, "DON'T EAT THAT!!!" – I could run across that the leafage was already halfway downwardly his throat. "Oh sh¡t! He's gonna choke, together with I don't know how to practise the whatever manoeuver!"

As I panicked at the idea of my boss lying on the eatery floor, dead, he stretched his cervix similar a pelican or seagull swallowing a large fish. And then, lo together with behold, the leafage was down! Crikey! See the photo? A fried pandan leafage is potent plenty to stand upwards upright but he managed to swallow it.

Glad that I didn't direct keep to outcry upwards for an ambulance together with in that location was someone to displace me dorsum to the office, I breathed a sigh of relief together with continued eating. I didn't tell anything almost the pandan leaf, together with my boss thankfully didn't effort to consume some other piece.

Some years subsequently the pandan leafage incident, I ordered some vine leaves wrapped alongside rice together with whatnots whilst having dejeuner alongside a friend. Being the terra firma bumpkin that I was (and all the same am), I had never had dolma before.

After the Greek dish arrived, I looked at the vine leaves together with remembered my ex-boss' culinary imitation pas. 'Hmm, am I supposed to consume these things that expect similar lotus leaves?' I wondered. I didn't desire to embarrass myself inward forepart of my novel friend, thus I unwrapped the leaves together with gingerly pushed them aside.

"Aren't yous going to consume those?" my friend asked.

Dang, those leaves were meant to survive eaten! I was incorrect but, hey, non equally incorrect equally the human who ate a fried pandan leaf. "I don't similar vine leaves," I said without batting an eyelid.

PANDAN LEAF CHICKEN (GAI HOR BAI DTOEI)
Source: Thai Food, David Thompson
(Recipe for v persons)

iii chicken legs, almost 600 g skinned together with boned
Marinade
1 slice ginger, pollex size, wash, peel together with chop roughly
ii coriander roots, launder together with chop roughly
iii cloves garlic, peel together with chop roughly
10 white peppercorns
v tbsp palm sugar
iii tbsp red rice vinegar (or whatsoever sweetness vinegar)
pinch of salt
½ loving cup kecap manis (thick, sweetness soya sauce)
ii tbsp white sesame oil
ii tbsp Worcestershire sauce
pinch of Earth star anise, optional

large pinch of white sesame seeds, toasted
24 large pandan leaves, washed together with dried
fossil oil for deep-frying

1. Wash together with dry out chicken. Chop bite-size.

2. Blend or pound marinade ingredients till smooth. Use one-half to marinate chicken for at to the lowest degree ii hours. There should survive plenty to almost encompass the chicken. Chicken may survive marinated overnight without beingness overseasoned.

3. Remaining marinade is the dipping sauce. Taste and, if necessary, dilute alongside 1 tbsp water. Sprinkle alongside white sesame seeds. Cover together with laid aside.

4. After the chicken is marinated, roll each slice inward a pandan leaf. Click here for a video on how to roll the chicken. Don't encompass the nub completely. Exposed parts volition plow brownish together with fragrant subsequently deep-frying.

5. Drain wrapped chicken for a few minutes to take excess marinade. Deep-fry inward but smoking fossil oil over high oestrus till leaves are brownish together with nub but cooked, 2-3 minutes. Drain. Serve forthwith alongside the sauce on the side.


Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel